Are rental restrictions common/legal?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ollieoxen
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

gonna be movin outta my house in march and want to put it up for rent since i dont wanna sell it yet but my hoa says i cant do that because of “”restrictions”” what the hell is that? can they do that??? its my house i can do what i want with it right?

iambatman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hello ollieoxen!

Unfortunately, rental restrictions are quite common in community associations. It’s a way to maintain the security, appeal, and exclusivity of the neighborhood. In many ways, these restrictions are actually for the good of the homeowners (you).

emile48
    Participant
    Up
    Down

OMG I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS U! The stupid board said I can’t AirBnb my condo and it’s so FRUSTRATING because a lot of my friends have been making extra money this way FOR YEARS

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am absolutely on the side of your HOA on this. And this is coming from firsthand experience. I was on the board of my HOA a few years ago when we didn’t have rental restrictions in place. Because of the boom of short-term rental apps like Airbnb, our community was seeing tens of strangers coming and going almost every week. It interfered with the spirit and character of the community, as residents would see new faces out on the streets or in the pool area on a nearly regular basis. It was jarring. It wasn’t long before some of our long-term residents complained about these strangers bringing down the appeal and value of the association. Some didn’t feel safe in their own neighborhood anymore because they couldn’t even recognize their neighbors. And not all of these tenants are good tenants either. Some of them blatantly disregarded the community rules. Long story short, we voted to place rental restrictions (which didn’t completely outlaw rentals but only aimed to control them) and our community has been a better place since.

altotyler35
    Participant
    Up
    Down

May I ask what kind of restrictions your board placed?

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Some examples that come to mind include prohibiting short-term rentals (anything below 30 days) and requiring through tenant screenings. Those two really helped with the whole stranger danger problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo