Board is asking me to remove security cameras… is that allowed?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I recently instlaled some security cameras in my home (one facing my front lawn to sidewalk and another in the form of a ring doorbell camera) but our HOA board asked me to take them down because they “violate the rules” according to them. I can’t find anything related to securtity cameras in our declaration so I’m thinking I can fight this. Any advbice?

0liverm3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Security cameras may not be explicitly stated in your governing documents, but they might fall under your HOA’s architectural guidelines. If the cameras are on your exterior, then your HOA board and architectural committee likely has authority over them. It could be considered an external change. Thus, because you installed them without permission, the HOA has the right to ask you to remove them and go through the proper application process.

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

They didn’t say anything about the cameras violating the architectural standards nor did they ask me to go through the application procedure. The letter just says I violated the “rules” of the HOA and that I have until the end of the week to take the cameras down. I paid a lot of money for them so I don’t plan on wasting that.

0liverm3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You may not like your HOA’s rules but that does not make them invalid. Fair warning – if you don’t take down your cameras as your HOA asked then you might face some penalties.

claireh10
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Security cameras are a tricky issue… If your cameras are pointed towards a neighbors window or lawn, then it could be considered a violation of privacy laws… Maybe a neigbor complained and thats why your board found out about the cameras and made you take them down…

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t think I’m violating any privacy laws. As I said,my cameras are only facing my front lawn and sidewalk and the other one is attached to the doorbell so we can see who’s at the door. How is that any concern of my neighbors??

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Besides, it’s my house and I’m not hurting anyone so I don’t see why I can’t put in cameras.

tenten1977
    Participant
    Up
    Down

OP, you need to examine your architectural guidelines closely to see if the cameras fall under them. If need be, hire a lawyer to help you interpret them. If your lawyer also thinks you didn’t violate anything, then you can challenge the board’s decision on this. You should have a discplinary hearing so you can explain your side of the story there. If they won’t budge, you can start pursuing legal action. That’s what I did when I was told I violated our rules when I really didn’t. Go through the proper channels so they can’t hold anything against you. Good luck.

0liverm3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I really don’t think suing the HOA is the answer here. That will only create mroe problems and drag your innocent neighbors into the problem. Who do you think will have to cover the monetary damages if you win? That’s right – everyone else. Suing is a surefire way to get yourself on your neighbors’ bad side. I strongly advise against it.

tenten1977
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sometimes suing is the only way to resolve things, though. And I didn’t tell OP to sue right away. He can contest the violation at his disciplinary hearing and hopefully his board retracts the violation. If they’re a reasonable board, then I don’t see how it will escalate to legal action anyway.

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just drove past a house with – guest what – security cameras! Surprise, surprise. If someone else can do it, then why can’t I?

0liverm3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Again, it’s probably because you didn’t get permission or go through the correct application process. Honestly, it’s not that hard to fill out a few forms and wait for your board to give their approval.

bsmoker
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Write them a letter and ask them to detail out and reference where in the rules it states about having camera’s is against the rules and regulations. If they cannot provide you with them, keep them up.

Also, I know its a pain but if you collect signatures of members in the association to permit them, then they have to allow.

You can always run for a board spot.

Talk to a legal expert. You have the right to secure your home. The irony is here they are using cameras to prove you have… cameras.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo