Board not allowing me to install solar panels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mrwyeman37
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I posted a question here last time about cluster mailboxes and I really appreciated the advice everyone gave so I’m back again with another problem.

I recently informed my HOA that I will be installing solar panels on my roof. A friend of mine is offering them at a discount so I thought why not, right? It can help me save on my utility bills. But then my HOA said I couldn’t install solar panels because it would be in violation of our architectural standards but nothing in our rules say that solar panels are specifically not allowed.

What do you think? Am I in the wrong here?

frankiefurter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

solar panels are indeed a good investment & i have them on my roof too! in my case, my hoa let me install them cause the design kinda blends in with my roof anyway so it’s not very noticeable. does yours stand out a lot?

mrwyeman37
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have seen the designs for the solar panels I plan to buy and they don’t look like they would stand out too much. I will try showing the designs to the board but they seem hellbent on denying my request simply because I’ve challenged them about the mailboxes in the past.

Henry5815
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I live in Texas and we have solar access rights here. That means HOAs here, by law, can’t prohibit us from installing solar panels. I had to go through a detailed application process, though, but I got them installed in the end.

Not sure where you live, but perhaps your state has its own laws for going solar? As far as I know, nearly half of states have passed their own version of solar access laws.

mrwyeman37
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I didn’t even think to check state laws. Thanks for the tip, Henry!

ginnie34
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We have those laws where I live too. You should definitly check the laws in your state bcause your board might not even have the power to deny your request outrihgt. If your board has it out for you ans is denying your request because of a complaint you made in the past, that can be considerd discrimination or an act of revenge. Eithe rway, they’re in the wrong..

JMancini
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m in OH, and have the same board “discriminatory action” although not for solar panel, but for privacy fence. My request was denied because the covenant restrictions was never amended or updated since hoa was formed 27 years ago. I want to install a 6′ fence, which is the height of fence behind my property and one next to it. Covenant states 5′. His reason was that variances are granted on some exceptions, citing about increased traffic and proximity to apartment building. The fact is, there is no apartment building close to our area, and the circumstance of the neighbor’s property behind me is the same as mine. Street I live is busier than the neighbor’s. It’s more “selective enforcement than anything else”, and it is discriminatory. Covered by FHA. Long story with this HOA but I think if I am talking to the so called president of the hoa, I did have some email discussion at one time concerning kids pranking my doorbell past 10pm, and he was siding with the kids. I need to get the fence installed soon as I will have pets in January.

mrwyeman37
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That sounds like a headache, @JMancini. Thankfully, I got my solar panel issue resolved. Hope you resolve yours, too!

Henry5815
    Participant
    Up
    Down

JMancini, you’re right. What you described is selective enforcement. I would confront your board about selective enforcement if I were you. If that doesn’t work, you can file a complaint with your state. There should be a department that governs homeowners associations. You may also want to ask a lawyer for advice. Godspeed!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo