Can the Board Give a List of Email Addresses to a Member?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    earlh0808
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I’ve just found out that our condo board has supplied another unit owner with a copy of all members’ names and email addresses. Is this legal? There’s got to be some privacy law that they breached, am I correct?

shemco
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hi Earl. It really depends on your state laws. Some states aren’t very specific about what HOAs can and can’t divuge to members. Most of the time, members can request such records, but the board can’t provide them to third parties. Membership lists are common.

bluebeard1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Shemco is right. Check your state laws. The laws on privacy when it comes to HOA records and documents aren’t very clear-cut or black and white. For instance, here in California, the law allows members to request a copy of the membership list, which can include the email addresses of the owners. But, members must state the purpose of the request, and the board can deny a member’s request for this list if the board believes it will be misused by the member.

earlh0808
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am located in Colorado.

bluebeard1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Check your Colorado laws. I’m not very familiar with them. You might also want to ask a lawyer for advice.

iambatman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Earl. Upon checking Colorado law, it seems that it expressly prohibits the disclosure of homeowners’ email addresses to members. An HOA may only publish information apart from the members’ names, mailing address, and number of votes if the members consent to it. Email addresses are a no unless otherwise consented.

earlh0808
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you very much!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo