Dues Increase – Membership Vote?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    markolaska
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I live in an HOA in Ohio and our board recently announced that we need to pay more in dues this year. It’s a pretty hefty increase, too (from $300/month to $500/month) so residents are understandably riled up. My question is, can the board even increase dues without a membership vote?

irvinec
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Did the board say why theyre raising dues by 200? Should be a budget presentation of some sort

markolaska
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We switched out management companies late last year and apparently, our HOA’s reserves is severely underfunded. Now, they’re trying to make up for it by increasing dues by a steep margin.

aidamartinsen
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Best to check your state laws. Here in Arizona, homeowner’s associations can’t raise dues by more than 20% per year without a vote. And $200 is definitely well within that margin.

florettemc
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m from Ohio as well and as far as I know HOAs here can increase dues without a membership vote BUT your declaration might have a limit on assessment increases. Worth checking it out

markolaska
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Our documents apparently don’t say anything about a limit.

florettemc
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In that case, I think your board is in the clear. If you want to place a limit, you might want to consider petitioning to amend your declaration.

ulricemma
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If the increase is to catch up on reserves, then maybe you should just pay it. Underfunded reserves can bite you in the a, trust me. You don’t want another Surfside condominium disaster.

rigby88
    Participant
    Up
    Down

^ Funding reserves is one thing but dont you think $200 is too much? Cant imagine having to find an extra $2400 in my budget a year

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo