Exterior stucco damage on townhome. HOA not responsible?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    thriller68
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hello. Im looking for advice to see what you would do in my situation. I live in a townhome in Florida and started to see puddle of water coming in from under my baseboards.It was just a small section of my baseboard that water was coming in from. Only happens when it rains a lot with heavy wind. I hired a leak detection company and they mentioned it’s not a foundation issue but the stucco on the exterior wall has some cracks that needs to be sealed / fixed to stop the water from intruding into my home. I reported this to my HOA and they claim its a foundation issue and I would be fully responsible to fix.. saying they are not responsible for water intrusion. My insurance company already approved me for fixing my interior flooring due to the water damage.. Would you guys just recommend I just find a company and repair it myself or fight what the HOA is doing?

I attached a photo of some important parts of the Declaration Articles and Bylaws of my HOA mentioning they are responsible for exterior damage but not obligated to fix?. I could be reading it wrong.

View post on imgur.com

profdan_h
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hi thriller68,

I would ask the HOA to get an inspection done by a professional to confirm their assumption that it is a foundation issue and not a stucco issue. That way, the HOA can substantiate their claim and maybe even discover from the professional they hire that it is, in fact, a problem with the exterior stucco. From there, if the exterior stucco is the HOA’s responsibility, then the HOA should fix the problem. If the water damage is severe and you cannot wait any longer, you can hire a company to fix it and then have the HOA reimburse you for the expense later on.

Hope this helps.

thriller68
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you for the advice but they had already hired a professional company who came in and they claim since I live in an end unit (Im responsible for that entire wall). Basically, im responsible for any repairs. I had hired another professional company who was able to duplicate the water leak.. He said it was not a foundation issue but stucco repairs would need to be done on some areas. My HOA just will not repair it whats so ever.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo