Fees worth more than my rent! How is this legal??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ulricemma
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I rent a condo in Brockton and pay about $1700usd/mo. It’s a small 1br condo but the rent is pretty good for the area. I managed to negotiate with my landlord for such a price provided I pay the condo dues. I have been living here for nearly 3 years and have only paid $150 in condo dues per month so far. Now the condo assoc is charging me a special assessment worth $2,000 for some BS renovation of the pool that I don’t even use! It’s worth more than my rent! I can’t afford this and I have talked to my landlord about the fee but he’s saying I agreed to pay all fees and assessments in exchange for a reduction on rent. Can the condo assoc even do this?? Is this legal??

gemini22
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There are very few states that place caps on special assessments. A quick Google search of Massachusetts law indicates that no limitation exists for condos in your area. So yes, your condo can charge you that amount.

cherylyrehc
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Special assessments are absolutely horrendous – but they can be necessary. Maybe your condo is due for an upgrade or maybe the pool isn’t up to code anymore. Even if you don’t use the pool, you still have to pay the assessment. And since that’s your deal with your landlord, you’re on the hook for it. Sorry about your situation but that’s the sad reality of community associations.

melinda_s
    Participant
    Up
    Down

“Condo boards have a duty to make sure common areas and elements are up to standard. If you don’t have a reserve fund, special assessments are the next option for major repairs and replacements. Unfortunately, you do have to pay the special assessment. However, it’s likely you only have to pay it once. Godspeed.

PS. You may want to start using the pool.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo