Having problems meeting quorum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shemco
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

We are a small community and we haven’t had our annual meeting this year because we’re having trouble getting a quorum so we can’t vote for new board members (the current ones have decided to stay on until we can hold a successful election) and we have delayed our annual meeting three times now because of this

Does anyone here know what we can do? Can we ignore the quorum requirement and just go ahead with the meeting/election? Is there any way we can encourage more people to come to the meeting?

ikirutheowl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

First of all – I know where your coming from. We have had this exact same problemin the past. I dont recommend ignoring the quorum requirement bcos that would jhust make your election and any other action taken during the meeting invalid. In our cases we eventually got a quorum after some choice incentives we advertised to homeowners (free food, drinks, a raffle). Perhaps you can implement somethin like that in your POA too.

aidamartinsen
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ignoring your quorum requirement is just about the worst thing you could do right now. The quorum requirement is there for a reason. If you break it, none of the things that take place at the meeting are considered valid. If you run into this issue frequently, might I suggest revising your CC&R’s to lower the quorum requirement?

shemco
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This is actually the 1st time we’ve had this problem. People just don’t seem to be as interested in the community as they once were

gemini22
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey OP. What about votes by proxy? AFAIK, proxy votes are still counted towards the quorum

shemco
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We do allow proxy votes but people still don’t send theirs in. Homeowner interest and participation has been a real problem as of late

aidamartinsen
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The way I see it, interest is your chief issue here. Maybe you should tackle that first. Do a survey, host some get-togethers so people can get acquainted… use all the tricks you have to get people talking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo