HOA attendance mandatory – something isn’t right

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gideon1964
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

My HOA is asking ALL residents to come to a Labor Day event and they say attendance is mandatory or else we will incur fees. Is this even legal???

talia13
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sorry to hear about that. Social events are totally optional. Your HOA is definitely in the wrong here. They can’t force residents to attend parties and other social events. That’s f-ed up.

gideon1964
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thats what I was also thinking!!! How can I fight this???

viviancortez
    Participant
    Up
    Down

First of all, take a look at your bylaws and CC&Rs. Check what kinds of violations your HOA can fine you for. I’m willing to bet “not attending social events” isn’t one of them. That’s your free will.

Next, take your problem to the board. It would help if you got some support from fellow homeowners, too. Let the board know that what they’re doing is not with keeping in line with your governing documents.

If they still don’t budge and you end up getting fined, sue.

gideon1964
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you for your help!!! Would you recommend going straight to step 3 and suing the HOA?? Im not feeling generous right now.

viviancortez
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would say suing should be your last resort. As much as possible, try to settle things out of the courtroom. The HOA gets its money from the homeowners (including you), so suing them would mean that homeowner fees will just be going to legal fees. Essentially, you’re paying for the HOA to defend itself. Suing should be the last option if you can’t make anything else work.

gideon1964
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I get what you mean. Thank you again!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo