How often should the board meet?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fennelstew
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Is there like a best practice for how often the board should meet? Our board meets every other month but I feel like thats not enough??

gideon1964
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We’re a small HOA (about 50 units) and our board only meets like 4 times a year

timothadeus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There is no industry standard per se. Your bylaws should tell you exactly how often you should conduct board meetings.

fennelstew
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thats the thing – our bylaws are pretty vague and only say we should have them – doesnt say how often.

faewin45
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Our bylaws say the board has to meet quarterly but we do it every month regardless

melinda_s
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Based on personal experience, I find that monthly meetings are best. It might sound too frequent but monthly meetings make for generally shorter board meetings. And these short board meetings accomplish a lot of things. We stick to an established agenda and tick off all the to-do’s and discussions in under an hour. Because we do it so frequently, we find that things don’t pile up and we can make decisions more efficiently instead of waiting months to pass a single resolution.

Of course every property association is different. You need to find what works for you specifically. Maybe you’re a smaller community so there aren’t that many tasks. In that case you could probably get away with meeting once every two months. If the board has a lot to get done, monthly is a good choice. I remember when things got so bad for us (back when we only had meetings once every blue moon) that we literally had to meet every week to discuss everything needed… and those meetings lasted well over an hour!

fennelstew
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for your response! Thats a good idea. I will suggest having monthly meetings and see if it works out for us.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo