Installing security cameras in common areas is allowed?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wazzackrind
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hey yall. I dunno if this has been asked on here but my home owners assoc recently installed cctvs in all of the common areas and I’m wondring if this is legal? Thanks a lot

fennelstew
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Different states have different privacy and video surveillance laws. You might want to check with a lawyer.

enginecore
    Participant
    Up
    Down

As far as I know, if the cameras aren’t facing anywhere private, then that’s ok.

lemoncircular
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I believe the above answer is correct. Provided the cameras aren’t pointing at a place where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy (i.e. showers, inside their homes, etc.), your HOA can legally install security cams in common areas.

wazzackrind
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It’s one of those spherical/circular cctvs where you don’t really know if it’s pointing at anywhere specific. Kind of feel like it has a more panoramic view.

lemoncircular
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In that case, you might want to double-check with your board. Make sure the cameras aren’t invading anyone’s privacy.

melinda_s
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My condo recently put up video cameras at the playground and I think it’s a great idea especially since children are around. Parents want to know their kids are safe and if anything goes wrong the cameras have it recorded.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo