Is it normal for the board to have closed meetings?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    faewin45
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Our BOD has been meeting in private for the past few months now, and I’m just wondering if this is normal or even legal. I find it a bit suspicious, as what can they possibly be discussing that they can’t do it in public? I’m very concerned because our BOD President seems sketchy.

nixxiepull
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It is ABSOLUTELY normal for the board to meet in private. These are called executive sessions. As long as your board is also having open board meetings, which many states require, then you’re fine. Most of the time, boards discuss sensitive or confidential things behind closed doors. These are things like ongoing litigation, delinquent accounts, and homeowner violations. All of these are topics that can be considered sensitive and might otherwise reveal private information about members when discussed in public. Calm down, OP.

faewin45
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That makes sense. But I still think the BOD President cannot be trusted.

white_rose
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It sure sounds like you’re just being prejudiced. What makes you say that your president is sketchy and can’t be trusted?

faewin45
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There’s just something about him. He has shifty eyes. I don’t trust him.

white_rose
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That seems like a “you” problem than a problem with your president. Unless you have proof of something suspicious going on, then you’re just being prejudiced.

nixxiepull
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You can check your state laws to know if executive sessions are allowed in your POA. Heck, even your governing documents may allow it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo