Looking to develop out job duties for Board members

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Up
    Down
    ::

Would anyone have a copy of each board members duties. When I started on the board there was nothing to support my position in what were my responsibilities. I was able to fire our old management company and add a new management company. Now I am working on our board as elections are coming in Jan 2023. This is so much missing that I am trying to put together so the board can run smoother. We have 74 units and 40k unpaid monthly dues. Located in Birmingham AL

Please help in anyway you can.

Monica

Dell
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I would focus more on HOA Policies, where said policies are within the scope of the board’s responsibilities. When you have a good draft of xyz policy, ask for the board to vote to approve the policy. Keep a binder with all policies.

The Secretary and Treasurer can have their own respective guides, but nothing that mandates they do xyz. Why? Because I do not think the Board or President legally has the power to require a volunteer to do xyz. The board does have the power to appoint people to officer positions and can pick people willing to do xyz.

Examples:
    Policy for Collections
    How many letters will be sent before a lien is placed.How much in arrears a member must be before the Board will consider foreclosure.Whether a collections attorney or collections agency will be used.

Policy for Meetings
    All bylaws and state law on board meetings implicitly included.How to get an item on the agenda.Whether to use a parliamentary procedure (preferably not Robert’s Rules).

Guide for Secretary
    Only meeting start time, meeting end time, motions made and votes on motions will appear in the Minutes. Discussion is generally not to be included in minutes, due to the risk of editorializing, defamation and possibly inhibiting people from participating.

Guide for Treasurer
    With the manager, or possibly delegating to the manager, prepares monthly and annual (1) balance sheet and (2) income and expense statement. By himself or herself, or with input from the Board or those the Board delegates, prepares annual budget. Has check-signing authority. Insures controls are in place for any check over $1000 to be signed by two, Board-approved reps of the HOA.

Guide for President
    Prepares agenda. Presides at all meetings. As needed, rules on whether motions at board meetings or owners’ meetings are in scope (meaning within the legal authority of the Board or owners). Liaison to the HOA attorney and vendors, though often times having the HOA attorney address the entire board is best. May delegate any responsibilities as desired and with board approval.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo