Management Company Withdrawing Thousands of Dollars for Payments

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    arnie920
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Is it normal for an HOA board to authorize the management company to withdraw thousands of dollars for “vendor payments”??? Please respond.

timothadeus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It really depends on the HOA. Our board only gives the management company permission to withdraw $500 at a time. That’s the limit. Anything beyond that would need approval from the board. And they’re limited to like one withdrawal a day or something like that.

arnie920
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I raised this issue to our board and they said they can’t always stay on top of expenses. That doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it their job to do that?? Sounds like fraud waiting to happen imo.

timothadeus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

While I understand your concerns, it’s completely normal for the board to delegate this type of thing to a professional. Vendor payments can be very exhausting to keep up with, especially if your board consists of full-time employees. Missing a payment might cut off your services, and that’s no good for your HOA.

arnie920
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes but I’m saying it’s the kind of practice that might be abused. Is that not something your worried about??

timothadeus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Most definitely. But if you have a good and honest manager, it shouldn’t be a problem.

hamstercarrot
    Participant
    Up
    Down

@arnie920 I totally get where you’re coming from. That was also something we considered. In our case, we give the management company authority to write checks up to a thousand dollars – that’s it. For larger payments, they will have to get the board’s green light. If you’re worried about abuse or fraud, put a cap on it.

Additionally, HOAs usually have internal controls set up for this type of thing. Your board should review the financial statements and reconcile bank accounts every month, at the very least. This is how you can make sure everything’s in good order. Checks and balances and all that.

arnie920
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you! I appreciate the advise.

samui
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hello! Choosing the right business structure is vital for our ventures’ success. I opted for an LLCBase
    because it offers a perfect blend of limited liability protection and flexibility in management. Being the sole owner, it simplifies decision-making. One crucial advantage is the pass-through taxation, avoiding double taxation like in corporations. Additionally, I appreciate the reduced personal liability, separating my personal assets from the business. Understanding the legal implications and liability protections of different structures is crucial. Sole proprietorships offer simplicity but lack liability protection. Partnerships involve shared responsibilities, whereas corporations have more complex tax requirements. Sharing our experiences and insights on the legal, tax, and liability aspects can guide others in making informed decisions for their businesses. Let’s empower each other to choose the best fit and prosper in our ventures!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo