Should we allow sheds in our HOA?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    annap_14
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi, everyone. So I’ve only been on my HOA board for a few weeks and I’d like to know your opinions on sheds. Should we allow them in our HOA? Are there pros and cons I should consider? Do they attract rodents or things like that?

My HOA currently doesn’t allow sheds but there are many members in our HOA that would like to have them so they are asking for an amendment. Personally, I’m not very fond of them. Any thoughts?

tenten1977
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just curious as to why you dislike sheds? They’re great because they give us extra room in which to store our stuff, usually stuff that we don’t want guests to see. Storing stuff in the garage isn’t an option either since that would leave no room for o0ur cars. And my HOA doesn’t allow cars parked in the driveway during certain hours.

angelocruz03
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you can establish restrictions on the type, size, and other aspects of the sheds, then I don’t see why you shouldn’t allow them. Sheds are beneficial to homeowners specially if your HOA isn’t responsible for yard maintenance and things like that. Homeowners should have a place where they can keep their mowers, rakes, and other gardening tools.

emilyb847
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I agree with tenten1977 and angelocruz03 on the benefits of sheds. If I could play devil’s advocate, I think one of the main disadvantges of sheds is that they can be an eyesore when constructed poorly. They can be in a tacky color, not go with the general aestethic of the property, or block a neighbor’s view. For me, these are some of the ways sheds can affect property values.

charles99_b
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Emily is correct when she says that sheds can affect property values in a negative way. But I also think they can increase property values when they are designed and built well.

I dont think the sheds themselves attract rodents. Its really the things inside that can attract them. So if you have food or water in your shed then you shouldnt be surprised when you open your shed door to a bunch of rats.

In my opinion sheds are great and they can look absolutely gorgeous when done right. But your HOA board should come up with strict controls so that the shed building and designing doesnt get out of hand. I would also suggest requiring owners to maintain their own sheds by a certain standard (keep them clean, no chipping paints, no deformities, etc)

jeannie13
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would say that a big drawback is that you have to know a lot about construction to build sheds. If you allow sheds in your HOA, I advise you to require owners to get a professional to build them. No DIYs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo