Should we hire a management company? Pros and cons?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    melinda_s
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Thinking about hiring an HOA management company. For those of you who already have one, are there any pros and cons I need to know? Thanks x

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

How many units?

melinda_s
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We’re a single-family community with about 300 homes.

grrtfrmn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Then yeah, I’d hire one.

arnie920
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A management company can definitely make things easier for an HOA and the board. We hired one a few years ago and never had one before that and the difference is ASTOUNDING.

cherylyrehc
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There are more pros than cons with managemetn comapnies. Just make sure you screen them properly so you don’t end up with a bad one.

kris10xoxo
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Pros: better management, connections to contractors and vendors, more time for the board. Cons: fees can be really extravagant – no joke!

altotyler35
    Participant
    Up
    Down

For a 300-home HOA, I’d also hire a management company. You have a lot of members, which means collections and communications can be a b*tch. A manager would really help.

cascascassie
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I live in a 250-unit condominium and we’ve been self-managed for three years now. We had a management company before that (I won’t name names) and it was utterly horrible. They mismanaged funds and overcharged us. They also didn’t really do much – just a lot of paperwork but the board ultimately did everything else. For us, it just wasn’t worth it. I’d recommend skipping it and going self-managed instead. If you have the right board members, it should be easy.

melinda_s
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for all the input, everyone! x

wicked_oz
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Pretty isolate case for cascascassie. Most of the HOAs I know (I live in a city with LOTS of them) hire management companies or HOA managers and they’re all doing great. Work is streamlined and efficient. Boards have a lot more time on their hands. Plus, the experience and expertise are unmatched. Best decision our HOA ever made tbh.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo