What do you think about hiring lifeguards?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ironman88
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

We recently had a pool installed for our POA (very exciting) and I am part of the board. We don’t know if we should also hire a lifeguard to be on duty for the entire spring and summer seasons. I have read a few articles online about this and I get that the general consensus is we can hire one but we would be taking on some level of liability as well. So I just wanted to come here and ask for any firsthand accounts of hiring lifeguards and whether or not it gave your board any trouble. Thanks in advance!

rebecca086
    Participant
    Up
    Down

First of all, congrats on the new pool! It’s a great amenity to have.

About your question, I think that personally it’s good to have a lifeguard around. I know most associations have rules like “don’t leave children unattended” or “don’t swim alone” but you can’t always count on people to follow those rules. We have had a lifeguard on duty every summer and we haven’t had problems so far. Having a lifeguard around just gives me more peace of mind I guess. But that’s just my two cents.

angelocruz03
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Lawyer here. Yes, I do think a lifeguard is worth having. But you are correct to note that the HOA assumes some liability when you hire a lifeguard. By hiring a lifeguard, the HOA is basically saying, “Hey, we’re responsible for the protection of people’s lives in the pool area.” And if something were to happen, knock on wood, then your HOA might be on the hook for it because you opted to have a lifeguard — literally someone who guards lives — on duty in the first place. I would advise your HOA to purchase additional liability insurance to cover all your bases if you do end up hiring a lifeguard.

rigby88
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We haven’t had an incident in the 20+ years we’ve had our pool. And we don’t have a lifeguard. You might be overthinking this, OP. Just sayin.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo