Can someone run for board president if they’re delinquent on fees?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    connor_g91
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

One of my neighbors who has been behind on his fees for more than two months wants to run for president in our home owners association. Is that even allowed?

lolitaQ
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It depends on where you live and what your bylaws say. A lot of HOA’s I manage require candidates to be in ” good standing ” which means they must be uptodate on all their dues and not have exisitng violations.

ulricemma
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The above is correct. In some states, it is even required BY LAW to be in good standing to run for a position on the board. States I know of are Florida and California.

connor_g91
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I live in Wyoming and as far as I know there are no state laws that apply to this situation (I checked).

ulricemma
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In that case you will have to check your bylaws to see what qualifications candidates need to have. If your bylaws are silent perhaps its time to consider changing them…

gideon1964
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Allowing a delinquent owner to run for Board president is a very slippery slope. If they win, that person can influence a lot of decisions that have to do with delinquencies and late fees. Think about it – wouldn’t someone who is behind on their assessments want to change the policy for collections? That person likely has an ulterior motive for wanting to gain enough power in your association. I would advise against letting them run.

aidamartinsen
    Participant
    Up
    Down

While Gideon is right, if there is nothing in the state laws or bylaws preventing the delinquent homeowner from running, I don’t see how OP can stop them. Best thing to do is advocate NOT to vote for this person so they don’t win. Better yet, maybe OP can challenge the person and run for president as well? ^_^ Then once your president, change your bylaws!!!

connor_g91
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have not checked our bylaws since I am out of town right now but I will make sure to do so once I get back! I have emailed our management company to send me a copy but they have not replied yet. Thanks for everyone’s support!

Running for president certainly sounds tempting but I frequently travel for work so I don’t think that’s a good idea ha!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo