Paying Dues at Meetings

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LizB
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi all,

Is there anything that prevents the board from offering to accept dues payments at the regular meetings?

I am on the board of our POA in Texas. I want to offer to accept the annual dues at January’s meeting (not late until end of month). I want to do this to allow folks who can’t afford to pay early (thus mailing a check a few weeks early) the chance to avoid the ACH or credit card fees (2.95 and 10.95 respectively).

The management association is “strongly suggesting” NOT to do this. Our manager does not want to be responsible for getting those checks to their accounting department for processing.

We would obviously provide a receipt to the property owner at the meeting. Either association manager or someone from the board would deliver it to their office.

As futile as it sounds, I would like to at least try to turn the perception of our particular POA/board toward a more positive view. I believe this could help.

profdan_h
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi @LizB,

As far as I know, Texas law does not regulate this. However, your governing documents might. Check your CC&Rs and bylaws to see what payment methods and forms of payment your HOA accepts. If collecting dues personally at meetings is not permitted by your governing documents, then I would refrain from doing so as it would violate your rules.

Moreover, while I understand why you wish to adopt this practice, it does not seem to be wise as it would expose you to certain risks. For one thing, there is a risk of checks or payments getting lost in transit. There is also a greater risk of fraud or theft, as the person in charge of collecting these payments could easily “misplace” them. Lastly, there is a risk of poor tracking or recording. You would issue receipts to owners, yes, but you would also need to establish a strict recording system to monitor owners who paid in person. This system must be accurate and secure.

With other payment methods, there is an easy way to keep track of cash movement. Electronic payments have an audit trail you can conveniently check, complete with timestamps. When you accept physical payments, all you have are written receipts and logs — things that can easily be manufactured or faked. You would have to rely on “he said, she said” when a dispute comes up.

Of course, the decision is entirely up to your HOA board, provided your governing documents allow this type of setup.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo