trying to start an HOA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ironman88
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

hi everyone! we’re trying to start an HOA here in our neighborhood and i was just wondering what are the requirements? like what documents do we need, if any?

iambatman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Generally, you will need to have governing documents (Articles of Incorporation, Community Plat, Bylaws, CC&Rs, and Operating Rules). You will have to file them with your county recorder’s office. It ultimately depends where you are, though. If I’m not mistaken, filing is not a requirement in some places.

fennelstew
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Starting an HOA is no joke. Be prepared to take on all the responsibilities and obligations that come with it. It’s going to involve a lot of paperwork and legal processes. Make sure you get the support you need from everyone in your community (everyone who’s joining) and that they know what they’re getting into. If you don’t have common spaces to maintain, I don’t see why you would need (or want) to start an HOA in the first place. It seems like you’ve gone years without it.

ironman88
    Participant
    Up
    Down

we do have a few common spaces (like a fountain and a small basketball court) which is why we want to start an HOA. about these governing documents, how do we make them? is there like a standard copy?

iambatman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The contents of governing documents differ from one association to another, though there are some boilerplate items. I suggest contacting an attorney to help you with drafting these documents. You can’t do it alone. It’s all too technical and legal with a lot of jargon involved.

chrstphr58
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Honestly, if you don’t have a lot of common spaces, just pay contributions and hire a maintanence company. Forming an HOA may be too much.

iambatman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I disagree. I think starting an HOA is a good choice if you have common areas to maintain. It’s a way to formalize things and set standard procedures. It also lays out the obligations of each member so that no one can just decide to stop making contributions one day without consequence.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo