What to do with extra reserve money?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    irvinec
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I realize this is probably not a common “problem” but our property owner’s association reserves is more than 100& funded right now… so my question is, would it be wise to keep funding the reserves in case of an emergency or perhaps spend the money on improvements?

nychrisjohn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That’s certainly a good problem to have. Our HOA’s reserve fund is not fully funded (in fact, it is well below the 70% rule of thumb), so I envy you. That being said, as a former board member, I feel it best to keep funding the reserve fund at the rate you are going. You can never have too much money in your reserve fund, as I always say, because it will surely help you in a future unanticipated event. Plus, costs are rising (and don’t seem to be slowing down), so your over 100% funding may be just 90% in the future when inflation catches up.

irvinec
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you for your response, nychrisjohn! I also think it’s a good idea to keep funding it regardless of overfunding but some other people seem to think that it’s passive money that can be better used elsewhere. A new tennis court, better landscaping, and new signage have all been suggested thus far.

nychrisjohn
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Do you really need those improvements right now? If not, best to delay. Prices aren’t exactly ideal currently.

tenten1977
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Are you sure your over 100% funded? How long has it been since you updated your reserve study? I only ask because I don’t encounter a lot of associations with overfunded reserves.

irvinec
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think we updated it last year.

kris10xoxo
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Has everyone forgotten what happened to Surfside? What a tragedy! After that, I don’t think you can ever really be “overfunded”… Keep funding, OP. Don’t be another Surfside

tenten1977
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Have you checked your Bylaws? Maybe you’ll find guidance on what to do with extra reserve funds there.

irvinec
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nothing in our by-laws say anything about overfunding. I do agree that Surfside was a tragic circumstance but we are not a condominium and thus have fewer buildings to maintain overall.

lolitaQ
    Participant
    Up
    Down

maybe you can consider lowering your assessments for a while. since you dont really need it?? or give a ‘free month’ or somethin.. just a thought

enginecore
    Participant
    Up
    Down

JSYK OP, reserves are not for unancitipated or emergency costs. In fact, they serve the opposite purpose. Your reserves are for calculated expenditures that you know your POA will probably need to pay for in the future.

irvinec
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes, but since we are over 100% funded, we were thinking the overage could just go towards a contingency fund.

enginecore
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In that case, why not set up a separate account for contingnencies? Seems like you’re mixing funds here, which isn’t ideal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo