HOA reform

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tlemmons
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Has anyone made an attempt to democratize your HOA, simplify the rules and reduce the powers of the BOD?

LizB
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would love to do this! Our CCRs are so old they do not make much sense any more.

chrstphr58
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We haven’t tried this, and I don’t know if you can. The governing documents of an HOA are legally binding and must be followed. It is the duty of the BOD to enforce the governing documents and uphold their fiduciary responsibilities. I’m afraid reducing the authority of the BOD would result in no business getting done at all.

tlemmons
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We can’t without a rewrite of the Bylaws and Covenants. And that would be a hurdle (including an expense). But we are a small community (30 members) that is at near capacity. And our Bylaws and Covenants are a mess due to amendments, counter amendments. It’s a real challenge to follow and to enforce.

Charles Wright
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Check your bylaws and covenants, they usually will have something about how to change or alter your docs. A lot of communities were built in the late 1990’s and early 2000″s so the docs can in some areas be outdated, Our HOA docs require in writing, the change or changes seeked, then 2/3’s +1 of owners sign to approve changes. If approved by the owners, the changes are presented to the Board. The Board is required to have the changes finalized and recorded with the County, and every owner is given written notice of the change or changes to the documents.It’s a lot of work chasing signatures, especially in a large community.
    Warning, be careful what you choose to change, it can come back and bite you..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo
company logo