1. It really depends on the size of your community and the supplier. Not all HOA’s have the same needs, entrances/exits, and aesthetics. You should definitely obtain proposals and quotes for this so you have more options. For us, it cost about $80,000 to install.
2. Gate maintenance and repairs will cost you thousands of dollars every year. Vandallism is a huge problem too, at least for us. Since a gated community will convert public roads into private ones, you also need to factor in the cost of maintaining these roads. That responsibility no longer belongs to the city or county government. Plus you have to consider the cost of hiring someone to guard the gates.
3. I’m not sure gated communities have lower crime rates in general. Speaking from experience, we’ve had an increase in theft and break ins because I think gated communities give the impression that wealthier people live there when that isn’t always the case. If the gate isn’t guarded by someone, it might not reduce crime rates in your community.
4. Yes, we have had this happen to us on several occasions. Emergency personnel are unable to enter easily because of the gate code so someone will have to meet them at the gate to let them in. If you have guarded gates, this shouldn’t be much of a problem but it does create more expenses for the HOA (salary, insurance, etc.).
5. Not sure that it will for you since it can depend on your location. The homes in our HOA didn’t increase in value. On the contrary I think the homes in our community sell for much less than the ones in ungated communities.
Just my two cents. Good luck on your decision, OP!